Saturday, March 3, 2012

Charleston Wine and Food Festival is Underway!

This is our third year attending the Charleston Wine and Food Festival. The first year I became a major convert to Low Country cuisine. Being a born and bread Northerner, I never appreciated the deliciousness and versatility of grits before my first trip down - especially if they are cooked in butter and bacon grease and topped with grilled shrimp.

Last year, the festival was a bit more focused on haute cuisine with Low Country food being elevated by all the chefs and students. There was also some bacon cotton candy that I am still thinking about. Notice a trend emerging?

This year, I am looking forward to tasting, trying and experiencing new foods and wines.

Both previous years, I have noticed a distinct lack of Virginia wines the Charleston Wine and Food Festival. Given the proximity of where some of Virginia's best wine comes from and where the festival is located, that's a shame.

Virginia wine - like the festival itself - keeps getting better. It would be great if the two could join forces. Maybe with some bacon thrown into the mix for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment